February Athletes of the Month
Tell us a little about yourself: Age? Occupation? Married/Single? Kids?
Darryl: I’m 71 and I’m a retired engineer.
Romelda: I’m 73 and I’m a nurse administrator.
We have been married for 47 years and we have two daughters, Jenny and Trista.
1. What is your athletic background? Hobbies?
Darryl: I play tennis every single day. When I’m not playing tennis (or at Crossfit) you can find me rebuilding engines.
Romelda: I have NEVER been in a gym before! I really love to paint and play the piano.
2. If you could program a WOD for CFM, what would it be?
Darryl: Anything with sit ups, pushups or weightlifting….but not burpees.
Romelda: Anything, as long as I am moving! I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when I walk out the door after a WOD.
3. What are your favorite meals or “cheat” foods?
Darryl: I LOVE In & Out or a good steak!
Romelda: Can you believe I’ve never had a hamburger? I LOVE veggie burgers.
4. What song do you hope comes on mid-WOD?
Darryl: Anything with rhythm!
Romelda: I’m waiting for some classical music everyday!
5. Favorite and least favorite Crossfit movements? Why?
Darryl: Least favorite- BURPEES!
6. What is your most recent PR? What is your next goal?
Darryl: I have finally been able to return to playing tennis regularly- that is huge for me!
Romelda: Staying healthy and mobile has been my goal- and every time I come to CFM, that’s what I’m hoping to do!
7. What keeps you coming back to CFM to achieve your goals?
Darryl: I love the feeling when I finish a workout and leave.
Romelda: It’s exhilarating when you finish! I absolutely LOVE the feeling that comes over me when I know I was able to finish every single rep!
8. Any advice to those who are just starting out?
Darryl: I wish I started when I moved out here- I wouldn’t have gotten a stroke.
Romelda: Start today. Start NOW- don’t wait until it’s too late….and bring your parents with you! Everyone can do Crossfit!